aturner

Ber Carroll is back with her title Once Lost

aturner    1

Tell us why you are excited to read about best friends Louise and Emma as they search for answers to discover the truth behind the challenges they are facing. 

• Thanks 1

Eronel    0

Brought back vividly the search by a close friend for his father, his feelings when he discovered he died and the renewed search for any information he could get about his father. Hearing and understanding the differing views and relationships others had with his father he found very difficult as well as friends not always understanding the persistence of his search. Well portrayed in this book.

Susie    1

I loved this book.  It took me less than 24 hours to read - that's with sleep, public transport, work, children & dinner.  The two stories running concurrently, the flash backs, addiction, mental illness, true friendship, family, loss & love - it had it all. Thank you to my library for the recommendation.  

• Like 1

Rowena B6    0

I read Worlds Apart by the same author not so long ago, so I'm hoping that this will be good too.

I am not a fast reader, so I also hope that I can keep up with you all.

Seuss    2

I was intrigued by Carroll's technique, she cleverly used the friendship between Louise and Emma to provide structure and pace, I found it engaging and easy to read.  Carroll tackled difficult subject matter around mental health and missing persons in a very compassionate way, at the same time exploring the nature of 'motherhood'.   A good read. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jenny    1

I wasn't excited to read this book but I did enjoy it! It was well written and a good page turner. I think I will probably read some more of Ber Carroll's books.

• Like 1

Rebecca    0
On 11 September 2017 at 9:07 PM, Susie said:

I loved this book.  It took me less than 24 hours to read - that's with sleep, public transport, work, children & dinner.  The two stories running concurrently, the flash backs, addiction, mental illness, true friendship, family, loss & love - it had it all. Thank you to my library for the recommendation.  

I agree with Susie. A real page turner. Quite a mature approach to finding a loved one from a relatively young person's viewpoint. Usually that level of awareness comes from somebody much older - say when you become a mother yourself or when you hit middle age. Well done !

Sandy    1

A good read. I had been looking to expand my reading genre and #togetherweread has provided the perfect opportunity. I was taken by the intertwining of lives and the parallel search for Louise's mother and the girl in the painting, and the eventual acknowledgement of the impact mental illness has on lives. The topic of mental illness was treated gently and with compassion. I would recommend this book to others

• Thanks 1

Veronica    0

I really enjoyed this page turner. I don't usually like emotional books, but I liked Louise and Emma. The story reinforces for me that family connections aren't always about blood relatives, but about relationships.

Claudine    1

I nearly gave up reading this book at the beginning because of all the swearing, is it Irish or Australian or just to make the book 'modern'

I am glad I persevered because I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, the characters became very much alive and the parallel stories were very entertaining.

• Thanks 1

Claudine    1
On 9/7/2017 at 7:56 AM, aturner said:

Tell us why you are excited to read about best friends Louise and Emma as they search for answers to discover the truth behind the challenges they are facing. 

I am looking forward to the next book, it is a great idea to have a book discussion group on the net; I used to be part of a local book discussion group but it stopped quite a few years ago.

Isabel    0

I loved this book,  the characters of Emma and Louise and the forgiveness and hope demonstrated at the end by both characters.  Loved the side story of Art Restoration,  making a painting beautiful again!!  

Atikin    0
20 hours ago, Claudine said:

I nearly gave up reading this book at the beginning because of all the swearing, is it Irish or Australian or just to make the book 'modern'

I am glad I persevered because I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, the characters became very much alive and the parallel stories were very entertaining.

LOL I don't doubt you Claudine but I don't recall there being any swearing in the book!! I must be conditioned to it. I thought it was a well constructed book and told the emotional journeys of the two main characters very well.

Kathryn    0
On 15 September 2017 at 8:14 PM, Claudine said:

Good to know, Claudine!  My mother also commented on the swearing when she checked out the first couple of chapters (and subsequently put it aside for the moment), and I started it today and can see what you both mean...  But hopefully once I get into it, I won't notice the swearing too much!

Claudine    1
On 9/16/2017 at 4:52 PM, Atikin said:

LOL I don't doubt you Claudine but I don't recall there being any swearing in the book!! I must be conditioned to it. I thought it was a well constructed book and told the emotional journeys of the two main characters very well.

Well maybe it isn't swearing to you, but I thought lots of fuck, fucking, bloody was swearing.

Kathryn    0
On 11 September 2017 at 9:07 PM, Susie said:

I doubt that I'll finish this in 24 hours!  But I am really enjoying it and am snatching every moment to read it that I can.  I'm about a third of the way through...

Kerry    0

I have not read any other books by Ber Carroll and I really enjoyed this one.  The characters were believable and the issues were handled with insight and sensitivity.  I am looking forward to reading more books by Ber Carroll. 

Claudine    1
21 hours ago, Kathryn said:

Good to know, Claudine!  My mother also commented on the swearing when she checked out the first couple of chapters (and subsequently put it aside for the moment), and I started it today and can see what you both mean...  But hopefully once I get into it, I won't notice the swearing too much!

The swearing is mainly at the beginning so it is worth reading the book as it is good, I thought the swearing was unnecessary, perhaps it was to show that Emma lived in a small apartment in a poor suburb of Dublin and had not much money, still not all poor people swear.

Kathryn    0

Slight spoiler for anyone not up to 65% of the way through the book:

As Emma is wondering about Louise's new relationship and is thinking of reasons that it might not work out in the hope that she won't "lose" Louise to a new man and Australia, I can find myself identifying with her as one of my best friends recently told me she was marrying a New Zealand man.  Since we live in Brisbane, I immediately was filled with a sense of loss (even while congratulating her!) because if they lived in NZ, I'd see her very infrequently, despite NZ being closer to Australia than Ireland.  Happily they've decided he's going to move over here, so I'm very interested to see what becomes of  Louise and her relationship, and Emma...

Atikin    0
On 18 September 2017 at 0:39 PM, Claudine said:

Well maybe it isn't swearing to you, but I thought lots of fuck, fucking, bloody was swearing.

I totally agree!! Now I'm worried that I'm so conditioned to swearing it doesn't even register ! 

Kathryn    0
12 hours ago, Claudine said:

The swearing is mainly at the beginning so it is worth reading the book as it is good, I thought the swearing was unnecessary, perhaps it was to show that Emma lived in a small apartment in a poor suburb of Dublin and had not much money, still not all poor people swear.

Yes, I finished the book today and agree that it was a great read (4 stars, I think), and the swearing was worse in the beginning, although it did continue throughout - in all of Emma's chapters.  I suppose she isn't necessarily trying to make a statement that most poor people swear, but it did create a bit of a different "voice" between the two characters - it was easy to tell which was which if you lost track part-way through a chapter!! However, I think they were different enough anyway without the distinction in swearing!

As Kerry says, it will be interesting to read more of Ber Carroll's books. She's been quite prolific!