aturner

Ber Carroll is back with her title Once Lost

Rowena B6    0

Well. I finished it... and with a day to spare. I will even admit to crying through the last chapter. It all resolved in the end.

I found Emma a little over-the-top with her protection of Isla, and was wanting her to give Jamie more of a chance, until her fears were realised.

I was really glad that Analiese voiced what I had been thinking about the connection between Genevieve and Louise. (I am trying not to be a spoiler).

The whole mental illness thing is very current in NZ at the moment, with everything from health funding to our terrible youth suicide rate, becoming election issues. (The election is this weekend).  It is recognized that we need to do something.

Marion    0

I will be following and reading this author. She fully understands that life is illogical and frustrating so often, and having the good friends featured here to support you in these times is a real the onrunning story of the portrait melds so well adding texture and balance. Congratulations on a great read. 

Kathryn    0
10 hours ago, Rowena B6 said:

I found Emma a little over-the-top with her protection of Isla, and was wanting her to give Jamie more of a chance, until her fears were realised.

The whole mental illness thing is very current in NZ at the moment, with everything from health funding to our terrible youth suicide rate, becoming election issues. (The election is this weekend).  It is recognized that we need to do something.

I have to say that I thought Emma's "overprotectiveness" (is that a word?!) of Isla was more of a way of trying to retain control - because if Jamie cleaned himself up and Isla was moderately happy to go over to his place, then Emma was no longer in control of the situation because she'd be expected to relinquish more of her time with Isla to Jamie. However, if she could keep saying that he couldn't be trusted, then there would be no expectation that he could have any more than basic access to Isla.  But in the end - **possible spoiler for anyone not finished** -  I guess I misjudged her in that...

Kathryn    0
10 hours ago, Rowena B6 said:

Oops - forgot I wanted to say something about the last part of your post, Rowena!  

Having a mental illness is certainly no picnic.  And it's easy to misjudge people - like Louise's mum and say she was selfish for walking out without a word to anyone, but if you're in that situation and not thinking straight, it might not be possible to see any other options.  Such a shame she didn't see talk to a GP about how she was feeling - medication might have made a world of difference...  But I can understand why people don't see a health professional - there's a good chance that if I was in her shoes, I'd be one of the ones struggling on thinking I could manage on my own, even when I clearly couldn't...  So much easier to be objective in hindsight - when you're in the thick of things, it's hard to see the forest for the trees!

I thourouly enjoyed this book, the characters were very real, a mental illness is definitely not easy, it's very sad the help needed wasn't received as is often the case.